I came across this article that stated statistically speaking men and women alike prefer male bosses. Now on first read the woman in me was appalled. Women are just as qualified as men and in some cases more qualified! But then I realized, I too prefer a male boss!
All my bosses minus one were male. For the most part I think I gravitate towards male bosses because even in social situations I gravitate towards men. Girl to girl relationships tend to be complicated and messy and full of drama. Who would want that in a boss? So I really got my thinking cap out and I thought of five reasons why I (as a woman) would prefer a male boss:
5) Women tend to be thinking 5,000 thoughts at one time: Now don’t get me wrong this could be awesome. Your boss could be helping you, your co-worker and a client all at once because we know that women are the best at multi-tasking. However, this often leads to last minute projects and missed deadlines. Not my favorite things to deal with in the work place.
4) Women can’t deny they are emotional: Even the strongest women have emotional moments. Its not always the best for a company for someone to make a decision based on an emotion and sometimes I believe it can be hard to avoid.
3) Children: Yes I love them and yes I want them, but do I want my boss disappearing for a few months so she can have one? Not particularly. This can make the work place a bit stressful and hectic and although there are of course plenty of ways to deal with it, its a obstacle I would rather not endure.
2) Vanity: I am a girl that is VERY low maintenance. Some days I go to work with little to no make up. But with a female boss I feel required to bite the bullet and doll myself up every day for work. Now of course that could just be me being crazy but its something I would rather not deal with. I like my sleep.
1) Other female workers- Women tend to enjoy hiring other women. I prefer working in a male dominated world (hence why I want to be a lawyer) the idea of a female run office kind of scares me. Can you imagine the gossip and drama that would ensue? No thank you!
Now of course this is pure opinion and colored by my own experiences so feel free to disagree. So bloggers, do you prefer male or female bosses?