Being with a Vegetarian sometimes makes finding a good meal a hard thing to do. However a quick google search and we were able to find a recipe that actually came out pretty fantastic. To see the full recipe go to: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/zucchini-alfredo/Detail.aspx.
Here is what you need to do to make it:
- 1 (12 ounce) package uncooked egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook 2 minutes. Mix in zucchini, and cook 10 minutes, until some of the moisture has evaporated.
- Pour the milk into the skillet, and stir in cream cheese until melted. Mix in basil. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve over the cooked pasta.(all courtesy of Allrecipes.com)
The boyfriend and I are not wonderful cooks but we made this and it actually came out pretty good. We doubled the ingredients so we could share with his parents but here was our experience:
So to start off we each took a job. I maintain I got the crappy job outta the two because the cooking tool he got to use to shred the zucchini looked like that washboard instrument- looked as if he could break into a beat at any minute. I got stuck with a big knife chopping basil at least I got to take out my frustration at getting the boring job 😉
Here we are boiling the pasta to Al Dente! According to the boyfriend Al dente means kinda hard almost crunchy not sure how I feel about that. I always though it meant if you throw it at the wall and it sticks – if that’s not Al Dente than what is it? Perfection? Must be that….
. At this point we are pretty much done! We thought it was going to be to soupy and was about to trash it when he let me in on a little tidbit of info- When he doubled the ingredients he doubled the oil he put in the pan! Doh! Thankfully it was a quick fix!
Sadly we don’t have an all finished picture because we were hungry and dove in but at the Allrecipes link above they have their all finished picture. This recipe was outstanding and is a must try for anyone- vegetarian or not!